WHEN THE SHUTTER CLOSES THE WORLD OPENS
I am a visual storyteller. I believe the visual image is a powerful tool that creates a lasting impression of emotion, curiosity, caring and ultimately hope and humanity. Photographs illustrate life in a way that words cannot.
What is important to me in my work is the way my understanding of people and the world deepens. I hope my work inspires others to see we all matter and to care more profoundly.
I travel the world photographing divergent peoples and cultures. The resulting images express the dignity of our universal connection. I believe we are all the same — we all want to be loved, to love our families and our traditions.
The soulful intimacy of my photos comes from my having developed personal relationships with my subjects, spending time in their world and capturing the essence of their culture. The permission they grant me, the openness they offer by inviting my into their world, never ceases to inspire me. My mind, my eyes and my heart have been opened by these experiences. I hope my images do the same for you.
In collaboration with foundations whose efforts are directed toward addressing important social welfare concerns, I am able to fulfill my personal mission to bring a greater awareness of pressing humanitarian issues. I am privileged to have these foundations use my images to help put a face to their important work.
- Welcome Home Ministries
- Shoah Foundation – Institute of Visual History – University of Southern California
- Stand With Us
- International Rescue Committee
- Project Concern International
- The Mission Continues
- I Support Vets
- Patriotic Hearts
- FreshStart Surgical
- San Diego J.C.C. – Davka
- Casa de Amparo
- Angels Foster Family Network
- Computer 2 San Diego Kids
- PAWS – Pets Are Wonderful Support
- Wreaths Across America – Miramar National Cemetery
- Women Peacemakers – Institute of Peace and Justice, University of San Diego
- WorldLink, University of San Diego – Youth Town Meeting – Institute of Peace and Justice
- Clinton Global Initiative – University San Diego – Foodbank/The Mission Continues
- SHE – Strong, Healthy and Empowered
- Yao Ming Foundation – China
- Aegis Trust – Rwanda
- Omo Child – Ethiopia
- Project Concern International – Ethiopia
- Egbok – Cambodia
- Salai Bai – Cambodia
- Umbrella Cinema Potential – Rwanda
- PA Nepal – Nepal